Thursday, January 26, 2012

Introducing Scarlett Antoinette Peterson


December 4th 2011 was the day we received the most beautiful little gift we could have imagined. People always say "love at first sight" when they describe the moment they first saw their baby. I always thought that was so cliche. Turns out every baby cliche I've heard is exactly how I've felt! Scott and I both are beyond obsessed with this little girl.
It was an unusually dry December, almost no snow. My dad was in town (he stayed after Summer and Eldis's wedding the week before) to wait for his newest granddaughter's arrival. We were six days away from my actual due date and I couldn't believe I lasted that long! I'd been dilated at a 3 for over a week. Effaced (yes a lot of detail here) 80% for over 2 weeks. Contracting almost daily for about a month! After Summer's wedding, I did all that I could to get her out. Every suggestion and remedy out there, I tried. Then as we were getting ready for church on the morning of December 4th, I went into labor.
I was standing at the sink in bathroom finishing up my make up. We were going to be late for church, so I was in a hurry when I realized I was dripping.. Like I said, lots of detail. I yelled for Scott across the hall, and he came rushing in excited when he realized my water broke! Interesting fact; Only 20% of labors start with a natural water break. My dad called up to say he was going to start walking to the chapel and we told him to throw our bags in the car, hospital time! He wished us off to get checked in and started while he made the arrangements to get my mom on the next flight from Sacramento to SLC.
We got to the check in desk at the hospital when I went from a leaky faucet, to a small waterfall! I sat in the hospital bed with Scott watching movies for next few hours. We looked outside to see the most beautiful snow fall. After a while, the pain kicked in and my epidural did not.. I was awful! I have so much respect for women who do it natural.. Not my thing! Pretty soon I was screaming in pain and squeezing Scott as hard as I could. The nurses told us it would take a few minutes before it kicked in, but after 30 mins of the worst pain I had ever felt, Scott insisted the get the anesthesiologist back to us. 15 minutes later, I felt great. My mom made it just in time, my sisters were there, my in laws and Lauren in the waiting room (minus Brittany who was in the delivery room with us), and it was time for some trial pushing. I practiced about 2 times and they called the Doc in. With the doctor there, I pushed for about 10 minutes, and she came right out! Yes, it was a fairly easy delivery. I felt very blessed.
She's now almost 8 weeks. I can honestly say it's been the best 8 weeks of our lives. Yes, lots of sleep lost, TONS of poopy diapers, literally every day I end up with dry milk all over my clothes, but I could not be happier about it! Here are a few hospital pics.


6 Lbs. 8 Oz. 20 inches long



I know this one is a little graphic, but it is my fav. Daddies little girl:)


1 comment:

  1. She is beautiful and I loved reading about your delivery. Mine was so different but I'm hoping for a more traditional birth next time. :) isn't funny how changing diapers, spit up, no sleep, etc... Is not such a big deal when you love that little person soo much? Babies are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete